Coats for Kids needs your help with donations of coats and cash! Coats for Kids is in its 28th year in Las Cruces, with more than 60,000 coats donated since the outset. Coats for Kids is sponsored by the Community Action Agency of Southern New Mexico (CAA) and D2 Designs of Las Cruces, in partnership with Comet Cleaners, 101 Gold, US Bank, Knights of Columbus, Walmart, and Albertsons.
The goal for 2022 is to purchase 3,000 warm, winter coats for children in need, ages birth through fifth grade. The coats will be distributed through Las Cruces Public Schools (LCPS).
“We’re asking donors to rally the office, search their closets, host a drive, and drop off gently used coats to your nearest Comet Cleaners by Monday, November 7, ” said D2 Designs owner and Las Cruces Coats for Kids Campaign Coordinator Alycia Jameson.
Alycia invited donors to join the 101 GOLD $101 challenge. “You can donate $101 to the program and then challenge a friend, co-worker, or family member to match your donation,” she said.
Each winter coat costs approximately $16, said CAA Director of Bridging Resources Llajaira Jimenez.
You can take cash donations in person to CAA, 3880 Foothills Road, Suite A; mail them to Community Action Agency, 3880 Foothills Road, Las Cruces, NM 88011; or donate online at lascrucescoatsforkids.com.
All cash donations will be matched 100 percent by the Anderson Foundation.
Coat drop-off locations:
- Comet Cleaners: 1) 2001 E. Lohman Ave., 575-523-6768; 2) 555 Utah Ave., 575-524-1539; 3) 2497 N. Main Street 575-526-9511
- Community Action Agency of Southern New Mexico, 3880 Foothills Rd., 575-527-8799. (You can also drop off a cash donation at CAA.)
- 101 Gold Studios, 101 Perkins Dr., 575-527-1111
- VIP Barbershop, 1041 N. Solano Dr., 575-541-5663
- Montana Ave Self Storage, 380 Montana Ave., 575-526-2141
- Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce, 221 N. Main St. downtown, 575-323-1575
- Conservation Corps New Mexico, 512 N. Valley Dr., 575-640-8540
- Roadrunner Pizza, 1426 Missouri Ave., 575-522-3600
- Holy Family American National Catholic Church, 702 Parker Rd., 575-644-5025
- Santa Rosa de Lima Church, 5035 Holsome Rd., 575-382-8123
- St. Genevieve’s Catholic Church, 100 S. Espina St.
- Holy Cross Catholic Church, 1327 N. Miranda St., 575-523-0167
- Cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, 1240 S. Espina St., 575-524-8563
- Our Lady of Health Catholic Church, 1178 N. Mesquite St., 575-526-9545
- St. Albert the Great Newman Center, 2615 S. Solano Dr., 575-522-6202
- Our Lady of Purification Church, 5525 Cristo Rey St. in the Village of Doña Ana, 575- 526-2114
- Basilica of San Albino, 2280 Calle Principal in Mesilla, 575-526-9349
November 7 is the last day to drop off a coat and/or make a monetary donation to this year’s campaign.
LCPS is now registering children to receive coats and will distribute coats from November 16 – 18.
For more information, contact Mark Hohnstreiter and Llajaira Jimenez at CAA, 575-527-8799, and Alycia Jameson at 575-621-4612.
Story by Mike Cook
Posted by LasCruces.com