New Mexico State University is proud to support culture and history. Celebrate Black History Month at NMSU with programs and special events, throughout February 2023.
The NMSU Black Student Association will host the events in collaboration with NMSU Black Programs, Associated Students of NMSU, and Men of Color Initiatives. A “Welcome Back Barbeque” kicked off the festivities on Feb. 3, and much more is planned for the remainder of Black History Month at NMSU.
Bobbie Green, interim director of Black Programs, said it’s important to celebrate Black History Month, especially at NMSU.
“This country has a tumultuous history. Some of our history is good, some not so good,” she said. “Not only do we celebrate the victories of our past, but we celebrate those brave pioneers and unsung heroes who have changed the landscape of this country, and even at this university – pioneers such as Clara Belle Williams, Clarence Fielder, and Andrew Wall, the first director of NMSU Black Programs.”
Black History Month at NMSU events
· Movie Night & Discussion: 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 8, at Black Programs Lounge (Corbett Center, room 234)
· Dinner and a Movie: 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 14, at Black Programs Lounge
· Women’s Basketball Game: 5 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 16, at Pan American Center (free to NMSU students)
· Suits and Sneakers Gala: Celebrating Student Athlete Academic Excellence: 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 21, at Corbett Center Ballroom (RSVP required)
· Pose/Underground Ballroom: 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 25, at Corbett Center Ballroom
· Black Health Fair: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Feb. 27, at Aggie Lounge (first floor Corbett Center)
Green added that she’s proud of the work that’s been done to ensure the university is not only celebrating Black History Month, but also reflecting on the past while shaping the future.
“Following in the footsteps of those who came before me, I am pleased to serve as the interim director of NMSU Black Programs,” Green said. “I am proud of the Black Student Association team who has worked so hard to plan our Black History Month calendar of events. We plan not only to appreciate, but also to educate during Black History Month 20233, and we are grateful for the opportunity to do so.”
For more information about NMSU’s Black History Month calendar of events, call 575-646-4208 or email [email protected].
Courtesy New Mexico State University.
Posted by LasCruces.com